Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Back to Making Art

So, I got some inspiration recently to begin creating artwork. I thought I would share it with you along with some of the story behind each piece, the process of making them and the adventure I went through trying to find supplies.

I began creating "art" like this because of an assignment in my Graphic Design class at Michigan Tech. It was an ice breaker on one of the first days of class. My first attempt was quite sad, but I think I'm better now.

So, here goes. This is the beginning of my first piece. I had a marker but it died before I could finish the outline. Issue one. I left it like this for a day and went to the store to buy a marker. Done. The dollar store by work is a great place to buy office supplies.

 

Once I got the marker, I outlined the words and I had some highlighters in my bag (from the US) so I began adding embellishments to the letters. Issue two, the orange marker was dying and the purple one I really wanted to use had been broken in the US when I allowed a three-year-old draw with it.

quote accredited to Antoine de Saint Exuper

In the end, it didn't turn out to bad looking. So I decided to make another one. This time, I chose pink and yellow highlighter and I began to realize that my color palate was quite limited. Issue three.

 
Dazed and Confused quote

So, here's where it got fun... You'd think finding markers would be easy, right? Wrong. SO wrong. I swear, I went to not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not even SIX different stores to find markers. On the seventh store, I finally found some. And they must be the suppliers for ALL the markers in Paderborn because they had a huge selection. I wound up grabbing this pack, marked an unbelievable 6,99 Euro and went to the cash register. On the bright side, these are double pointed markers, one end is a thick point and one is a thin point.

Wow, I guess I missed the sign that said everything in the school stuff area was so far on sale it was nearly free, because I wound up only paying 2,50 Euro for this pack. Now that I think about it, I should go back and get more!

My new markers!

When I got home, I immediately began on more pieces.

For Faye

For Andrew - Carl Sagan Quote

Another for Andrew - Another Carl Sagan Quote

And the last one for the night.
For Andrew.


If you want me to make one for you, just comment and leave a quote. I'll do my best to get to them in a decent time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment