Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Week on the Weekend..?

So, I know I didn't write this week but there wasn't a lot going on except work and rain. I'll give some information on the last week, but don't expect anything too grand! I really need to stop doing this to myself.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the red hair!


Monday

(here)

Okay, so, Monday morning was where the rain began. And it didn't stop all week. I put on my Benteler rain coat and headed to work. It's nice being able to stay at least half dry! Work was work. Honestly, what else can I say?

It was Thorsten's birthday but he wasn't in the office, that's okay, we'd celebrate later.


Tuesday

In the morning it was still raining, not quite as much as Monday, but it was rain none the less. Again, I threw my rain coat on over my outfit and biked to work. I stopped for breakfast and bought another Amerikaner. Mmm, lecker!

I got to start on my project for Dominik and Benteler Rothirst, so at least I had something to do! I spent nearly the whole day working on the research and PowerPoint presentation but didn't finish.

I got a call in the morning that my package from my mom had finally arrived too! It took about a month and a half to get here and I was thinking that it wasn't ever going to show up, then again, my medication was in it so, it probably had some trouble getting through customs. It was SO exciting! My mom (and probably my dad had something to do with it too) sent me some necessary medication, a big bag of Jolly Ranchers, circus peanuts (my favorite candy, but only when it's rock hard), American chewing gum, and my international driver's license. All of these things were awesome to get!

At lunch, we celebrated Thorsten's birthday and he bought a bunch of pizza (three huge ones to be exact.) We all gathered in the meeting room ate the pizza and had a good time.

Wednesday

Work, was work. I continued working on my presentation about competitors. It's funny, I feel like I have looked at this information so many times now. All for different projects but still, every time I look into it again, I re-do the research. It's difficult to take the research from a million places anyways. Maybe this coming week I'll go through it and try to make a compilation of it all to make it easier to find and use it.

I wanted to make plans for the weekend because the plans that I had made to go somewhere with Kathrin (the Canadian girl) fell through. I started looking online for things to do in the area. Nordrhein Westfalen is the region of Germany that I'm living in and I just searched for things to see and do in the region (those are the cheapest train tickets.) I booked a trip for Saturday morning to go to Hameln, the city famous for the story of the Rattenfänger von Hameln, to the people in the U.S., that's the Pied Piper. Check out this wicked sweet website I found for the city too!

After work I went shopping for some food and, of course, beer. You know, the necessities.

Thursday

Again, work was a bit like work and I spent a lot of time working on making the presentation. I wound up going home around 3 PM, or 15:00 as they would say here.

Personally, I don't think it's important really, as to which clock is used. Everyone is free to choose whatever format they like. I like the 24 hour format because it's easy and logical. Anyway - here's my reasons:

And look how much cooler the 24 hour clock
can look! (here)
The 24-hour time system has been used for centuries, primarily by scientists, astronomers, navigators, and horologists. There are many surviving examples of clocks built using the 24-hour system, including the famous Orloj in Prague, and the Shepherd gate clock at Greenwich. - I mean, it worked in the past for groups of people, why not now?

In Europe, the use of the 24-hour clock in daily life has grown steadily since the beginning of the 20th century. - Let's face it, Europeans are awesome, so why not try it too..?

In most of America (Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Panama, Mexico, etc.) we use both formats. It's only the U.S. that uses the 12 hour clock exclusively. 24 hours is a standard in most of the world.

In my experience in Germany, using the 12 hour clock is too confusing. Maybe it's because everyone uses the 24 hour on already but, when someone says "at 5 o'clock", you always have to ask "in the morning or afternoon?" Using the 24 hour clock makes it easy to decipher between the morning and the evening. Especially since I stay up so late on the weekends, it makes sense to say 4:00 for the morning and 16:00 for the afternoon. I mean, if I got to bed at 4:00 and I get up at 16:00 someone might think I didn't sleep, or that I slept for 24 hours. It makes it shorter too.

Friday

It didn't rain on Friday morning! Woo! How exciting is that? I mean, it's kind of a big deal! I think work was a bit easier since it was sunny, the whole day kind of flew by. I finished my presentation, okay, I didn't finish it totally, I need to look for some sort of graphics to include with it. But, it's looking good.

Hannover (here)
I was invited to go to Hannover for the evening. A bunch of people would be leaving the train station in Paderborn at 6 PM and going to Hannover where they would have food and drinks, maybe go clubbing, then catch the first train back in the morning, probably around 5 AM. They were going to celebrate Thorsten's birthday and while I sounded like a lot of fun, I already had plans for Saturday and the train ticket would cost 50 euros. A bit much for a last minute trip.

Katharina suggested that I go and find a hotel for the night and explore Hannover on Saturday then come home in the evening. While that sounded fun, finding a hotel was difficult. Maybe I can do that another weekend!

Friday was Wolfgang's birthday so he (I think his wife actually) made frikadellen, noodle salad, a vegetable tray and dip. It was delicious! And hey, a free meal! After lunch, I left work for the day.

I gathered all the bottles I had in my room and returned them to the nearest grocery store and went into the city to do some shopping. It felt good to just be able to relax and try on clothes for a while haha. I wound up buying a new purse because it goes over the shoulder (across the chest) and a few unmentionables.

When I got home, I got into bed with a book and stayed there late. I got up to Skype with Andrew, but then it was back to reading and I stayed up until 11:30 PM, oops! I had to get up early and catch a train.

Well, that was the week. I'll post about Saturday in Hameln soon. Maybe even tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment